Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 2 "Professor Matt, you assign too much homework."






Throughout my career as a student, I always thought that the amount of homework a teacher assigned was directly proportional to the amount of contempt said teacher felt for his or her students. Now that I see from the teacher's side, it isn't the case.

In the hours that preceded class today, I heard several times (and from a variety of sources) that I had assigned too much homework for one night. At one point, I had a student come up to me and say "Professor Matt, this is so much...you are killing us!"
First of all...until recently, I never expected to be teaching in this, or any other context. Secondly, I certainly couldn't have imagined being the teacher that gives too much homework! After some review with Jeff, the academic dean, it turns out that I'm not giving too much...a good amount, but not too much.
When class began, I promised the students that my grading would be fair, that the exam would be objective, and that the homework wasn't so tough. After a few minutes of convincing, we went on with class. Again, today went really well...ended better than it started!

Here are some pictures from the Bible College.
1. The front of the building
2. The view from the classroom (that's Lake Victoria)






No comments: