Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Haiti Project







Every time I go on a short term mission project I leave with a heavy heart. Perhaps that is just the nature of such things…even so, I’ve been on my fair share, and foolishly suppose that those feelings would become increasingly fleeting with every project. Yet, as I walked the 200 yards across the tarmac to the American Airlines jet that would take me home, my stomach sank and my heart felt heavy. In front of me stood a not quite green but not quite brown hill as a visual appetizer to the collection of mountains behind. Alone, those hills were pristine and beautiful. However, the preceding week availed me to the hardship lying within those very hills. Haiti’s landscape is lavish and its people are kind and genuine, but the economy is dead and the situation dire. During the week I had a lengthy conversation with a man who is proficient in three languages and also possesses a degree in computer science. He is from the more rural areas, but moved to Port-au-Price in hopes of finding a job…any job. None are to be had.

Very easily, I could give the “what we all want to hear” update on our project. In fact, our short term project was a major success and blessing. We constructed a total of 130 church benches and led a revival at the local church in Bon Repos, Haiti. Those benches will be used in rural churches throughout the country…replacing dilapidated pews, splintered and rotten benches, and in some cases merely allow people to sit who previously had to stand. (not having a place to sit is something we’d never imagine in an American church) Also, Jude, pastor of the church in Bon Repos considered the revival such a great blessing that he wanted to know if he could count on us being back at the same time next year. I’m thankful that God used us how he did…and I’m glad that the project was a success, but walking away, my mind’s focus was elsewhere. My heart remained with the people who need clean water, nourishing food, a roof, education, and hope. When I go on a project I tend to want to change the world…then I remember that saving the world is not my job.

So I thank Jesus that he took that job. I thank Jesus that he is the hope for you, for me, for Haiti, and everyone else. I think Jesus that he is using me to be a part of his redemption. And I thank him for the opportunity to be a part of the process.

No comments: