Friday, January 2, 2009

Farewell 2008


Every December, the one line from a particular song played at Christmas haunts me. “So this is Christmas, and what have you done…another year over, and a new one just begun.” When I hear John Lennon’s melody I tend to look back and see what all has gone on in the previous year. Some years I’ve felt fairly accomplished…others, not so much. So here goes a recap of all that’s gone on in 2008.

In 2008 I:

*Left a ministry I loved
*Went to the 24 hrs of Daytona race with my dad, nephew, and brother
*Moved to Florida
*Loved watching the Patriots go down in epic Super Bowl XLII
*Spent 9 weeks in a missionary training program with NMSI
*Learned that a guy from Brazil and a guy from Tennessee aren’t all that different
*Understood what it means to be “open, honest, and vulnerable”
*Affiliated with New Mission Systems International
*Fell in love
*Moved back to Tennessee
*Had the privilege of being the best man in my friend Jeremiah’s wedding
*Had the privilege of helping out (in a minor way) with my friend JoHila’s wedding.
*Had the privilege of being the best man in my friend Logan’s wedding
*Re-examined my theology
*Got a job at Applebee’s…and met a lot of good people there
*Saw the birth of Gracie, Chris and Emily’s baby girl
*Went to a CD release party for my friend McClure, and his band Northfork Switchgrass (seriously, check em out…they’re great!)
*Lost 30+ lbs
*Was devastated by the news that Chris had brain cancer
*Was overwhelmed by God’s answer to prayer when Chris came through the surgery
*Co-lead a mission project to Costa Rica and saw God at work in that nation
*Had a fight with Delta airlines…which I lost
*Somehow got Mono
*Was overwhelmed by the love and support of my friends and family as I raised finances to come to NMSI
*Moved back to Florida…into a house with 4 other guys
*Learned that there are 4 seasons in FL: Crowded, Hot, Fire, and Hurricane
*Spent a week in Bulgaria at the NMSI Triennial conference
*Turned 25…and had a blast doing it
*Spent a week in Greece for the 2nd half of Triennial
*Went to the Tennessee-Alabama game with Chris
*Saw Coldplay for $5…again…Coldplay!
*Was devastated by the news that Chris had another tumor…and it didn’t look good
*Went to the National Missionary Convention
*Ran a half marathon
*Was absolutely floored by God when the doc went to remove Chris’s tumor…and couldn’t find it
*Watched a sunrise in Palm Beach
*Had a great Christmas with people I love…and did so without giving gifts!

So there it was…my 2008. It went in a blur. So, here’s to 2009…there’s reason to believe that maybe this year will be better than the last…

No comments: