Friday, November 7, 2008

Election thoughts

I'm not a terribly politically charged person. I'm a person who has strong opinions, but at the same time, I don't see the world as entirely black and white. You'll never hear me say that I'm a Democrat...nor will you ever hear me say that I am a Republican. (That statement is probably enough to keep me from ever being elected to public office)

That being said, I've been truly surprised by much of the reaction I've seen regarding the results of our election (from both sides). I don't care who you voted for. As a former pastor/current missionary, I feel some sort of unspoken obligation to have a firm stance supporting one of the two candidates...and not only that, but I feel like I should have specific Biblical convictions making the choice black and white. However, here I see no black and white...I see positives and negatives on both sides...so that unspoken obligation is not fulfilled.

Anyway, here is what saddens me:
Christians saying that Obama could be the anti-Christ.
Christians saying that Obama is the savior.
(and other statements of similar nature to each of these)

Each are usually said tongue in cheek, but I've come to learn that if you say something with sarcasm, it's what you really mean but don't have the guts to say.

Do we feel like our political party (either one or neither one...follow me?) is the one that sides with God? Do we feel that our nation is the one that God prefers?

So here's what I think...I think we have a little too much American pride. Let's not forget that Nationalism is caused 2 world wars and countless smaller ones. Essentially, the thought that "our culture is better than yours" has caused countless deaths, injustices, and atrocities.

I remember one night in Kenya, sitting around a fire and talking to another guy in his early twenties...I knew him only as "Ole'." We talked for a while about America, Africa, their differences and their similarities. He said he felt like Americans thought they were better than everyone else. I immediately took offense and told him we didn't...and specifically that I didn't. His response resonated with me "It's because you follow Jesus," he said. "That's why you don't feel that way."

Maybe it is.

Let me say that I'm not dissing our country here...not by any means. I'm saying that our ties to Christ must be stronger than our ties to our nation or our political parties.

So there's my soapbox. If you follow Christ you should feel ok...because God ultimately has the future in his hands. Amidst economic disaster, natural disaster, and global disorder Christ is supreme.

Jesus is our only savior, and may we only boast in Him.

No comments: