Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 5...I'm blessed

I've been an affiliate with NMSI for around 15 months now...in that time, my understanding of missions, culture, and cross-cultural communication has grown exponentially. So, one would think that by now I'd know to leave my expectations in the airport. However, as I came to Uganda, I didn't remember that foundation of short term mission projects. My expectations were that teaching would probably be a disaster...that I didn't have enough information and that I wouldn't be able to adequately communicate with the students.

God took care of all of that...I actually have too much information, and it's turning into a struggle to fit it all in during our two weeks! Communication hasn't been an issue...the Ugandans have done an excellent job understanding my Tennessee drawl. Getting to know the students has been a true blessing.

Friday afternoon as class began, I asked the class to pray for Chris Morgan. If you're reading this, odds are you know about him and his battle with brain cancer. Thanks to frequent emails with Chris' wife Emily, I've learned that this has been a really hard week for him. There are so many side effects of chemo that I never could have imagined.

Stepping before the class at 2 PM, my heart was heavy...burdened for Chris and Emily. I told the class what was going on, and every eye that met mine was filled with compassion, concern, and care. After asking them to pray, every student prayed aloud fervently and passionately...my ears and heart heard a concert...asking God to heal Chris. Roughly two minutes later, voices quiet and my eyes no longer dry, I said thank you and amen. 8000 miles away, Emily found some peace and Chris some strength.

People who have never met Chris, and will never meet Chris care about him and prayed. Perhaps we should all be so moved to care for another...

No comments: