Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Who likes to discuss the weather?

This morning I checked my Hotmail account, which still thinks that I am in Kingsport, TN. The home page alerted me to the brisk 64 degree temperature, accompanying scattered clouds, and light wind conditioning Kingsport. I then laughed to myself as I looked out the window to my right which revealed a palm tree being assaulted by the tyrannical Florida sun. East Tennessee, this is not…the lizard that stood mockingly on my shoe this morning told me so.

I’m a big fan of good conversation. From deeply personal truths to discussing the merits of the Steelers front 7, I love authentic conversations. So, whenever I bring up the weather, it seems trite. In high school I went on a pseudo date with a really attractive girl from another school. This was 1999, so I was probably wearing a plaid button up shirt tucked into straight legged jeans held up by a brown leather belt with a gold buckle and workish boots…I can’t remember if that was stylish or not (I can‘t imagine how it would be), but it was what I usually wore. So essentially when I got dressed I probably should have known then that I was in over my head. I picked her up and as we drove down the road in my 88 Saab (the Great White Hope as I liked to call it), I opened the manual sunroof and the surprisingly hot February sun warmed us. Unfortunately, we struggled for conversation. I asked a ton of questions and got mostly one word responses. After only a few minutes I had used up all my good stuff. There was nothing left to discuss but the weather…with only shallow conversation to follow…at that point I knew it wasn’t going to work out.

Today I don’t feel trite as I bring up the weather. Maybe it’s because I’m still expecting a crisp September morning to signal the coming seasonal change even though the lizard said it wasn’t gonna happen. Or maybe it’s because the change in my surrounding weather signifies a bigger change for me. And like the autumn in Tennessee, this change is welcome. Make no mistake though…I may be in Florida, but I Tennessee boy I will always be.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey Matt! We just got your email about your new blog! We are excited. We have a Whitten family blog at jonandlisawhitten@blogspot.com. If you don't mind I am going to link you on our blog so we can keep up with you! We hope everything is going great. Hope to hear from you soon. Always, Lisa and Jon

Lisa said...

Hey Matt! Told Jon about your message. He said if you come to Alabama that you know that you have a room at our house. He said you guys could play some NCAA football or whatever it is you boys do! HA! So if you need to...just let us know. We would be glad to have you. Plus...I am not sure why he wanted me to tell you, but he said that we have to take you to dinner because and I quote "you always take PREACHER MEN OUT TO DINNER"! So there you have it!

Also, I am trying to talk him into blogging for your amusement and that of anyone who might read it! We will see...it kind of scares me.
Have a great week and we will talk to you later.

Lisa and JON